Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Ready, Set, Go!

Recently, I finished my associates in Game Design and realized I've only ever made four games. Not for lack of skill but rather for lack of time after the necessary skills were acquired. In order to bolster my portfolio and because I'd like to rapidly prototype a game idea I've had knocking around for a while I've decided that I will constrain myself to a game jam like time table. At first I thought 48 hours but since I will be a one person team doing art and programming and since this isn't actually a contest in which I have to follow rules I've decided that I will give myself at most one week.
I've decided that I'll be using two unfamiliar tools/styles. Firstly, I will try my hand at pixel art. I've never been good at it but I attribute that to a lack of practice. Secondly, I will be using/learning Game Maker.

The game I've decided to make is called Nine Lives. It's a platformer in which you play as a cat jumping, running, and moving yourself through a surreal landscape filled with all sorts of nonsense. Just as you can set your computer mouse to have a trail, you will also have a trail of your other nine lives following you. Ideally, these will also be inventory spaces for special suits that will help you complete certain sections of the game.

That's it. One week, one game. Ready, Set, Go.

No comments:

Post a Comment